While there are so many factors that go into any home buying decision, there's one aspect of the process that you really can simplify—know the track record and reputation of the builder of your home. We gladly offer that advice as we're sure you'll like what you discover about Van Metre homes.
Home Buying FAQs
For one of life's biggest purchases, be sure
Why buy a new home?
New homes offer certain advantages over resale homes.
- Modern architecture and floorplans that mesh with today’s lifestyles
- Increased energy efficiency for lower utility bills
- All new materials and components for lower maintenance costs
- Opportunity to make interior selections so your home reflects your personal aesthetic
- Current building and life safety codes to protect your family
- Wired for new technologies allowing maximum connectivity
- Warranties included for peace of mind after you move in
What is included in the base price of a new home?
The base price refers to a fixed list of included features the Builder considers standard.
- Every builder includes a different list of included features
- Included features include both structural items and designer finishes
- Definitely discuss which features are included in the base sales price with the onsite sales manager
- They can show and/or tell you what your new home comes with and what is an upgrade
- If you tour a model, remember to keep in mind you are buying a home to live in—not the model home
- If it is unclear whether an item is included or an upgrade, ask questions
How much home can I afford?
How much home you can afford drives many decisions you make throughout the homebuying journey.
- First and foremost, get qualified by a reputable lender
- They can help you determine your budget
- They will assess how much home you can afford on a monthly basis, based on your income and existing monthly debt
- Monthly estimates should include principal, interest, property taxes, insurance and HOA fees
- Your lender will also examine your total move-in costs
- Total move-in costs include down payment and closing costs
- Closing costs include items such as owner’s and lender’s title insurance, settlement costs, transfer taxes, government recording fees and pre-paid items (like real estate taxes and HOA fees)
What is an Earnest Money Deposit?
Essentially, an Ernest Money Deposit (EMD) is a deposit a buyer makes on a home they want to purchase.
- All builders collect Earnest Money Deposits
- EMDs represent the buyer’s good faith in buying a home
- There is no universal amount for an EMD
- The amount required varies from community to community
- The signed sales agreement outlines the conditions for refunding the money
- Your EMD will be credited towards the total monies you owe at settlement
Will I receive any financing incentives?
Buyers who choose to use the builder’s affiliated lender usually receive financing incentives.
- If the buyer chooses to use the builder’s affiliated lender, they usually receive financing incentives
- Financing incentives will not be given if an outside lender is used
- Financing incentives may not be used towards a down payment, but they can be applied to closing costs
- Builders strive to provide the best experience possible for their customers and trust their affiliated lender to reputably conduct business
- By using an affiliated lender, both the builder and customer can have faith they will receive accurate and reliable information
- Get pre-qualified with Van Metre's highly regarded Intercoastal Mortgage, LLC today by clicking here!
What should I look for in a homebuilder?
- Your homebuilder should have many years of experience and offer a wide variety of floorplans
- Choose a homebuilder with the proven financial wherewithal to guarantee they'll be there throughout the life of your home’s warranty
- Choose a company with roots in the area you're in which you're settling—it will be easier to confirm claims of a quality reputation
- Pick a homebuilder dedicated to satisfying your needs and delivering quality service for years to come
How do I know that a Van Metre home is right for me?
Van Metre’s reputation for building top quality homes at affordable prices is renowned, but don’t just take our word for it. Our owners are glad to speak on our behalf about their Van Metre homebuying experience.